Terrorism: US demands Nigeria’s transparency in security operations
Senior
U.S. diplomat Victoria Nuland met Nigerian National Security Adviser Nuhu
Ribadu and discussed "promoting accountability and transparency" in
the aftermath of security operations in Nigeria, the State Department said on
Thursday.
Observers
have noted a pattern of deadly aerial assaults by the Nigerian military that
have killed civilians, which was the subject of a special Reuters report last
year.
Nigeria's
military is backed by the United States, Britain and other allies in a
long war against Islamist insurgents in the northeast.
"They
further agreed on the importance of protecting civilians, safeguarding human
rights, and promoting accountability and transparency in the aftermath of
security operations," the State Department said in a statement last week.
Civilians
were killed in Nigeria's northern Kaduna state following a military drone
attack targeting insurgents and bandits in December. The death toll in the
attack was at least 85, including women and children.
The
Boko Haram and splinter Islamic West Africa Province have waged an insurgency
in Nigeria's northeast for more than one decade and continue to carry out
sporadic attacks against civilians and the military.
U.S.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken will visit Nigeria in the coming week as
part of a West Africa trip.

No comments