Breaking: CBN uncovers $2.4bn fraud in foreign exchange backlog
By Abimbola Tooki
Mr.
Yemi Cardoso, governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, has disclosed that the
apex bank has discovered that of the roughly $7 billion foreign exchange
backlog that is yet to be cleared by the federal government, ‘’about $2.4
billion had issues."
The
central bank, according to Cardoso, would not honour non-compliant
transactions.
The
governor said on Monday that a forensic audit of $7 billion of overdue foreign
exchange transactions the bank has been trying to clear had uncovered
irregularities affecting $2.4 billion worth of the transactions.
Cardoso
said in an interview on local channel Arise TV that the irregularities ranged
from missing paperwork to non-existent entities and beneficiaries receiving
unauthorised foreign exchange allocations.
Investigations
by BusinessWorld revealed that unauthorized foreign exchange allocations to
some powers that be in government and business circles have largely led to the
crippling of Nigeria’s economy.
Nigerians
have been groaning under steep rise in the prices of foodstuffs and other basic
amenities. Two square meals have literally vanished from many homes, a development
that has led to malnutrition of many children.
Africa's
largest economy is experiencing crippling dollar shortages that have pushed its
naira currency to record lows.
The
audit, conducted by management consultants Deloitte, was aimed at identifying
whether there were invalid transactions in the forex backlog, one factor behind
the naira's slide.
So
far, about $2.5 billion of the backlog across sectors including aviation,
manufacturing and energy has been paid, and Cardoso said the remaining $2.2
billion would be cleared swiftly.
"Having
$2.2 billion outstanding is different from $7 billion. I believe we're at the
end of this road. We'll clear everything soon and move on," Cardoso said.
The
CBN last week announced a limit on how much banks can hold in foreign
currency, capping their net open positions at 20 per cenr of shareholders'
funds for short positions and a zero limit for long positions.
It
also ordered banks to immediately liquidate excess holdings as part of a series
of measures to boost dollar liquidity.
The
central bank now requires banks to have enough liquidity to cover maturing
foreign exchange obligations, and lenders are also encouraged to have forex
contingency funding arrangements with other institutions.
"Our
focus has been to start looking very aggressively at the supply side of the
chain," Cardoso said.
Under
Cardoso the central bank has pledged to pursue a more conventional monetary
policy, and the bank aims to bring inflation down to 21 per cent after hitting
a 27-year high in December at 28.92 per cent

No comments