Exit: Your citizens will suffer, Ecowas tells Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali
The Economic Community of
West African States (Ecowas) the West African regional bloc, has told junta-led
Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali to reconsider their decision to quit the political
and economic alliance, warning of the suffering and hardships the move would force on their
citizens.
The three countries'
self-appointed military leaders jointly announced on Jan. 28 they were
abandoning the bloc after it pressured them to restore constitutional order
following a string of coups.
Their departure threatens
to further weaken Ecowas, which has struggled to curtail a retreat of democracy
in West Africa that started with a military takeover in Mali in 2020.
Its mediation and security
council met in Nigeria's capital Abuja to discuss the issue and an electoral
crisis in Senegal, where the unprecedented postponement of a presidential vote
has sparked public outcry and international alarm.
Regarding the withdrawal,
council chairman Yusuf Maitama Tuggar said the juntas' move "would bring
more hardship and will do more harm to the common citizens of those three
countries."
"And that is why we
continue to urge those three countries to remain ... And Ecowas is going to
redouble its efforts towards diplomacy, towards dialogue, towards
reconciliation," he said after the closed-door meeting.
Before talks, President
Omar Touray, Ecowas Commission, described the juntas' decision as hasty and
said they had failed to abide by the rules for quitting the bloc.
Touray did not specify
which withdrawal conditions had been ignored.
Member states wishing to
withdraw must give a written one-year notice.
On Wednesday the juntas
said they planned to leave "without delay" as they did not feel
bound by treaty terms, increasing the chances of a messy disentanglement from
the region's trade and services flows, worth nearly $150 billion a year.
In separate statements,
they said Ecowas had violated its own texts by imposing excessively punitive
sanctions, including border closures, in the wake of the coups.
A swift departure also
raises pressing questions for the millions of nationals from the three poor and
landlocked nations who have settled in neighbouring states as the bloc allows
visa-free travel and right to work.
"These are all
things that you cannot just undo overnight ... it takes more than
pronouncements," Tuggar said.
None of the officials
commented on what they had discussed in private about Senegal's postponement of
a Feb. 25 election to December, although Touray described the move as a threat
to regional peace and stability.
The Economic Community of
West African States (Ecowas) the West African regional bloc, has told junta-led
Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali to reconsider their decision to quit the political
and economic alliance, warning of the suffering and hardships the move would force on their
citizens.
The three countries'
self-appointed military leaders jointly announced on Jan. 28 they were
abandoning the bloc after it pressured them to restore constitutional order
following a string of coups.
Their departure threatens
to further weaken Ecowas, which has struggled to curtail a retreat of democracy
in West Africa that started with a military takeover in Mali in 2020.
Its mediation and security
council met in Nigeria's capital Abuja to discuss the issue and an electoral
crisis in Senegal, where the unprecedented postponement of a presidential vote
has sparked public outcry and international alarm.
Regarding the withdrawal,
council chairman Yusuf Maitama Tuggar said the juntas' move "would bring
more hardship and will do more harm to the common citizens of those three
countries."
"And that is why we
continue to urge those three countries to remain ... And Ecowas is going to
redouble its efforts towards diplomacy, towards dialogue, towards
reconciliation," he said after the closed-door meeting.
Before talks, President
Omar Touray, Ecowas Commission, described the juntas' decision as hasty and
said they had failed to abide by the rules for quitting the bloc.
Touray did not specify
which withdrawal conditions had been ignored.
Member states wishing to
withdraw must give a written one-year notice.
On Wednesday the juntas
said they planned to leave "without delay" as they did not feel
bound by treaty terms, increasing the chances of a messy disentanglement from
the region's trade and services flows, worth nearly $150 billion a year.
In separate statements,
they said Ecowas had violated its own texts by imposing excessively punitive
sanctions, including border closures, in the wake of the coups.
A swift departure also
raises pressing questions for the millions of nationals from the three poor and
landlocked nations who have settled in neighbouring states as the bloc allows
visa-free travel and right to work.
"These are all
things that you cannot just undo overnight ... it takes more than
pronouncements," Tuggar said.
None of the officials
commented on what they had discussed in private about Senegal's postponement of
a Feb. 25 election to December, although Touray described the move as a threat
to regional peace and stability.

No comments