4,700 kidnapped under Tinubu as mass abductions rock Nigeria
By Abimbola Tooki
4,700 kidnapped
under Tinubu as mass abductions rock Nigeria
More than
4,700 people have been kidnapped since President Bola Tinubu came into power
last May, risk consultants SBM Intelligence have said.
Kidnapping
has become a lucrative venture for people driven by economic desperation to
raise funds.
Nigeria faces security crises across its six geopolitical zones,
including Boko Haram, bandits, criminal youth gangs, sea piracy and armed
separatist agitation. All the groups, as well as others, take part in
kidnapping. Ransom payments have become the dominant motivation for kidnapping
due to Nigeria’s struggling economy, rising inflation and high unemployment
rates.
Apart from ransoms of money, gangs have
in the past demanded foodstuffs, motorcycles and even petrol in exchange for
the release of hostages.
"Nigeria's poor economy creates the
conditions for kidnapping. Over the past year, the government has not been able
to fix its foreign exchange problem," William Linder, a retired CIA
officer and head of 14 North, an Africa-focused risk advisory, says.
"Food prices have skyrocketed,
especially over the past six months. The perception of corruption
continues."
Alex Vines,
director of the Africa programme at the Chatham House think-tank agrees.
He said that the recent attacks can be
tied to Nigeria's underperforming economy and the inability of the forces to
disrupt the kidnapping gangs' activities.
Rising food costs have been worsened by
the farmers not being able to access their fields to grow food as they fear
being attacked or kidnapped.
"In large swathes of these areas,
armed gangs have supplanted both the government and traditional rulers as the
de facto authority," Vines says.
The gangs often extort money from
people, but the fact that they are unable to farm means there are fewer funds
available, which may explain the gangs turning to kidnapping.
Twice in one
week, gangs of motorcycle-riding armed men, operating from forests in two
different places in the north of the country, kidnapped hundreds of people.
First on Wednesday we got news from a
remote town in Borno state in the north-east that suspected militant Islamists
had seized women and children from a displaced persons camp who were searching
for firewood.
It took
several days for the news to emerge because the local mobile phone masts had
been destroyed.
Then the following day, more than 280
children, aged between eight and 15, and some teachers, were taken away by
gunmen from a school hundreds of miles away in the north-western state of
Kaduna into a nearby forest.
There are reports locally that this
attack was carried out by militants from the al-Qaeda-linked Ansaru group.
In recent
months, there had been a lull in this type of mass kidnapping that had plagued
Nigeria since the notorious abduction of nearly 300 girls from a school in
Chibok in April 2014 which captured international headlines.
But now, it's déjà vu as the 10th
anniversary of that tragedy looms.
The mass abduction in Kaduna is the
biggest from a school since 2021.
So why is there a resurgence of this
kidnapping that is endangering the lives of the most vulnerable Nigerians?
It is hard to discern a pattern from the
coincidental timing of two apparently unconnected incidents, but it is a
reminder that the threat has not gone away.
The fact
that they happened just days before the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan may be
significant.
Those who have been kidnapped and freed
in the past have talked about being forced to do cooking and other menial jobs
in the forest camps.
But in general, kidnap-for-ransom in
Nigeria is a low-risk, high-reward business. Those abducted are usually freed
after money is handed over, and the perpetrators are rarely arrested.
The Northcentral saw higher ransom amounts demanded, notably in
Nasarawa, where targeted abductions yielded maximum ransom with minimal
resistance.
The South-South’s low ransom payments may indicate efficient police
intervention or victim silence. The past year showed a higher likelihood of
being kidnapped in Kaduna, Niger or Zamfara, the three states recording the
highest per capita abduction rates and deaths during kidnap attempts.
Civilians bore the brunt of kidnap attempts around the country,
with 430 casualties, while security agents and kidnappers accounted for 19 and
121 deaths, respectively.
This is despite the fact that paying a
ransom to free someone has been made illegal.
Likewise, the shrinking of the Lake Chad
basin and the spreading of the Sahara Desert southward has led to the
disappearance of arable farmland and a scarcity of water.
"These pressures only add to the
woes of many, especially in the north. This pushes people to seek alternative
means of income. Unfortunately, kidnapping for ransom is one," Linder says.
The gangs are aided by the fact that
Nigeria's borders are porous and insecure. Islamist violence in the wider
region has added to the insecurity.
The vast forest reserves in the border
regions have been turned into operational bases for the criminals.
"Nigeria needs to work with its
neighbours," says Bulama Bukarti, a senior conflict analyst at the Tony
Blair Institute for Global Change.
"Without
transnational co-operation especially with Niger, Cameroon, Chad, including in
the north-western part of Nigeria's border, these incidents will continue to
repeat themselves."

No comments