Breaking: Kidnappers demand N1bn for release of school hostages within 20 days
By Abimbola Tooki
Gunmen who kidnapped 286
students and staff from a school in Kuriga, Kaduna, northern Nigeria last week
have demanded a total of N1 billion ($620,432) for their release, a spokesman
for the families of the hostages, and a local councillor, told Reuters.
The ransom demand amounts
to more than N3 million ($2,000) per hostage, or more than the annual per
capita income in Nigeria, according to International Monetary Fund data.
The school children, some
older students and members of the school staff were abducted on March 7 in
the town of Kuriga, in Nigeria's northwestern Kaduna State, in the first mass
kidnapping in the country since 2021.
Jubril Aminu, a community
leader who acts as a spokesman for the families of the hostages, said he had
received a call on his phone from the kidnappers on Tuesday.
"They made a total
of a N1 billion ransom demand for all the pupils, students and staff of the
school," Aminu said.
"They gave an
ultimatum to pay the ransom within 20 days, effective from the date of the
kidnap. They said they will kill all the students and the staff if the ransom
demand is not met."
Idris Ibrahim, an elected
official from the Kuriga Ward municipal council, confirmed the ransom demand
and the amount.
"Yes, the kidnappers
called the community through Jubril Aminu's number and made the demand,"
he said.
"They called from a
hidden number but the authorities are working on getting the number,"
Ibrahim said.
He added that the
security forces were taking "adequate measures" to secure the release
of the students.
Samuel Aruwan,
Commissioner of Internal Security and Home Affairs in Kaduna State, did not
immediately respond to requests for comment about the kidnappers' demands.

No comments