Nigerian rights body ends probe into 10,000 abortion allegations against military
Nigeria's National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) said on Tuesday it had concluded hearings into an investigation of a Reuters report that the military ran about 10,000 secret abortion programme in its fight against Islamist insurgents in the northeast.
The Nigerian military has
previously said that the report was not true.
The commission, which is
appointed by the government, established a special panel in February 2023
to investigate the allegations and has been conducting hearings in the capital
Abuja and in northeastern Borno state.
NHRC said the hearings had ended, with Borno's attorney general and the military addressing the panel on Tuesday. The commission did not say when it would be ready with its findings and whether these would be made public.
"The military urged
the panel to absolve it from all the allegations contained in the Reuters
report which has generated concerns," the NHRC said in a post on X.
Reuters reported in
December 2022, based on dozens of witness accounts and documentation, that the
military abortion programme involved terminating at least 10,000 pregnancies
among women and girls, many of whom had been kidnapped and raped by Islamist
militants.

No comments