Vivendi's Canal+ makes $1.9bn buyout offer for MultiChoice
French media group Vivendi's Canal+ made an all-cash mandatory offer on Monday to buy all the shares of South African broadcaster MultiChoice it does not already own for 35 billion rand ($1.9 billion), both companies said.
That offer at 125 rand
per share follows an indicative offer of 105 rand made by Canal+ on Feb.
1, which MultiChoice rejected as significantly undervaluing the company.
The need to make a mandatory offer was triggered by Canal+, MultiChoice's biggest shareholder, subsequently raising its holding in the firm above the 35 per cent threshold. Its new offer values MultiChoice, in which it now owns a 36.6 per cent stake, at about 55 billion rand.
By 0759 GMT, shares in
MultiChoice were up 3.7 per cent at 116 rand.
The deal would create a
pan-African broadcasting powerhouse with about 31.5 million subscribers across
over 50 countries, able to put African content to global audiences as well as
compete on an international scale.
The French media company
has broad reach in French-speaking African nations, while MultiChoice has a
stronger presence in English-speaking countries, including South Africa,
Nigeria and Kenya.
Canal+ said it believes
the competitive landscape for Africa's media and entertainment industry will
undergo further profound changes as the continent rapidly adopts 0broadband and
mobile internet. Smartphone adoption is also rising.
"A combined group
would be better positioned to address key structural challenges and opportunities
resulting from the progressive digitalisation and globalisation of the media
and entertainment sector," the companies said.
MultiChoice's independent
board constituted for the deal will now consider the bid.
Canal+ reserves the right
to buy more MultiChoice shares in the market during the course of the offer.
Should the French company buy these shares at more than 125 rand each, it is
obliged to increase the offer price, according to the statement.
REGULATORY HURDLE
For the deal to be
successful, the French broadcaster will need to navigate the country's
stringent Black economic ownership requirements and restrictions on foreign
media ownership, which caps voting rights at 20 per cent
Maxime Saada,
chairman and CEO of Canal+ Group, told Reuters there are workable solutions
around that which "of course will require us to have local partners".
Last month
Bloomberg reported that billionaire Patrice Motsepe could join Canal+'s bid.
The companies said
they intend to comply with all applicable laws and will provide further details
in this regard.
The French media company
has broad reach in French-speaking African nations, while MultiChoice has a
stronger presence in English-speaking countries, including South Africa, Nigeria
and Kenya.
Canal+ said it believes
the competitive landscape for Africa's media and entertainment industry will
undergo further profound changes as the continent rapidly adopts broadband and
mobile internet. Smartphone adoption is also rising.
"A combined group
would be better positioned to address key structural challenges and
opportunities resulting from the progressive digitalisation and globalisation
of the media and entertainment sector," the companies said.
MultiChoice's independent
board constituted for the deal will now consider the bid.
Canal+ reserves the right
to buy more MultiChoice shares in the market during the course of the offer.
Should the French company buy these shares at more than 125 rand each, it is
obliged to increase the offer price, according to the statement.

No comments